Friday, January 14, 2005

Hide the Cord PLEASE

Okay, so yesterday I didn't make it here to blog, because guess what? I rounded up all the phone cords (I thought) in the house and told my daughter to hide them! Rusty was supposed to take them with him, but he forgot. SO I had a whole day to just work and I got a TON of writing done. Which made my mother very happy. She likes to read my daily word count.
So today I did the same thing, only I forgot one and there it was, just taunting me with all five feet of possibility. SIGH what's a gal to do? :)

I have a delimma. :) again. Today, my delimma is which opening to use for my book. I keep going back to it over and over and over! I've written four or five openings and none of htem have that Gone with the Wind-esque draw... you know?
"Scarlett O'hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were..." WHO could put that down???

Or Tiger Lillie the new book out by Lisa Samson (I think is her last name)
"I have a skeleton inside of me."
I read that one line and had to buy the book. Now I am a fan of this woman.

I read a line from a book called: Growing up on the Edge of the World and what drew me was the first line of chapter two (thought it was chapter one when I opened it at the store)
"On (date) the rapture came. I was in bed at the time."

These are killer openings. I love them. These writers are fantastic and effortless in drawing the reader in, not only to the book, but also introducing the theme of the book.

I don't want a ho-hum opening. So I'm writing my chapters daily and going back to my opening to struggle and lament. I keep reminding myself that I haven't yet sweat great drops of blood like our Lord did the night he was in the garden, so there is still struggle in me. I WILL get this opening right!

Love Lots!!!
Have a terrific day. Love Jesus, love the world, love each other.
:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home