Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Simple Things

So I'm sitting in my kitchen, listening to the sounds of my boys as they clean their room (under threat of forfeiting evening television), my daughter as she walks in the house from feeding grandma's dog, across the street. I am smelling dinner cooking (something that hasn't happened in a couple of weeks) and I am in awe.

I used to do this every day. Before I got a career. I was a housewife, mom, and resented being unproductive. God didn't created us to be that way. But after a week of staying at mom's to finish a deadline, working over the weekend on edits, and getting right to work every morning as soon as my feet hit the floor, I'm taking a few minutes to enjoy these simple things. The sound of laundry washing, water dripping, dogs barking. I'll fold laundry later and smile. Oversee after dinner chores, and be glad. Watch American Idol with my son, the only one who will watch it with me, and I'll savor the time together. I'm grateful for the few hours God has given me to enjoy the simple things in life.

Tomorrow, these things might cause me stress. At this moment, I relish them.
What a wonderful world.