Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Power in David's Swing

I'm singing in church tomorrow. ARRHHHHHHHHHH. (That was a big panicked scream, incidently). My pastors are out of town being incredible in Somoa which is somewhere hot and tropical, I think. Some sacrifice for the Lord, eh? No just kidding. They are amazing and God is using them not only in our region, but all over the world now. I'm so grateful to be a part of this ministry. That's why singing in church tomorrow is such a big deal to me. Our music is the best around. Remember the name Aimee Flanders, because she will be a household name someday. Seriously. She sings better than 90% of the recording artists today, secular or Christian. Aimee is our pastor's wife and directs the worship team. She almost won Branson Idol, should have, I imagine, but Branson's a country town, and hey, she's not country. So why would have wanted to win anyway?
But I digress in a major way.
Back to me. After all, it's MY blog.
So, tomorrow I sing a "special". Funny name. I SOOO don't feel special. :)
I'd really like to crawl under my covers and hide for a couple of weeks. But where would David have been if he'd failed to recognize that God was leading him TOWARDS Goliath instead of giving him a way of escape. Sometimes we have to FIGHT. Take a step in the direction of what looks bigger than us and accept the challenge. David remembered how he had killed a lion and a bear. Now, he HAD to knwo that a shepherd boy would not have had the power to do that in his own strength. Anymore than he could kill Goliath in his own strength. David knew whose arm would be swinging that sling. not his. That's why he had the guts to say, Goliath, you Phillistine freak, I'm going to kill you, then I'm going to cut off your head and send it home to your freak, pagan mama. and if your freak buddies don't start running, I'm going to kill them too." Okay, I paraphrased, but David was pretty mouthy, despite that fact that he was probably shaking like a building in an earthquake. ANd God's chest swelled with parental pride. This kid trusted him. He had no choice but to make sure he succeeded. ten minutes later, David stood on Goliath's chest holding his big freak head by his stringy, dirty hair, and declairing there's NO god like Jehovah (ooh I should have sung that).
Anyway, I'm facing a Goliath today. Seriously. TO some people singing isn't a big deal. To me it leaves me up all night on Saturday, praying that god will anoint me and not let me fail. (And that's just the two times a month I sing harmony on the worship team where no one is paying attention to me or listening for my voice in the line of backup singers) It's a step TOWARD the ministry in music that God has for me. I could go back to my comfort zone. Hide behind the piano and sing something familar (and even that would be terrifying). But God is asking me to launch out into the deep. Sing with a Sountrak to a bunch of people who are already disappointed because Aimee's not singing. I don't know how much more humility I can take, so I'm believing God to be the force behind my efforts to sing for Him. My church does everything with excellence. Very quality, professional. I so hope I'm not the 'foolish to confound the wise' lesson. SIGH.
Anyway, pray for me tomorrow. please

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

Oh wow.

"TOWARDS Goliath instead of giving him a way of escape. Sometimes we have to FIGHT. Take a step in the direction of what looks bigger than us and accept the challenge."

Wow. Ok I said that already... but it is just something I needed to hear. so thank you.

Comfort zones are great aren't they? LOL Til the Lord decides to kick you out of them...

June 04, 2005 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home