Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Being the Teacher...

My eleven-year-old son came home with a stack of papers to grade last night. Last week, on an assignment from his teacher, he went to the library, rented a video and made a five question paper on the video.

I noticed as he was grading that his countenance (that had been so bright when he came home) was starting to droop. I questioned him. and he confided that he was nervous because a couple of kids missed three (which was an F) and several missed 2, which was a D. It was five questions after all.

So he asked me to regrade just to be sure he was giving everyone a fair shot.
And in all but two cases the grades were right. I said it's hard be the teacher isn't it? He nodded glumly and said, "Mom, I let them do the paper while they were watching the video. How could they have miss any?"

Funny, I wonder if God thinks that about us sometimes. "Life is an open-book test. Open the Book!! Pay attention. All the answers are right there!"

It's not easy to be the one the red pen. But that's how it is in leadership. I'm learning that. Learning not to apologize for making the right choice and the right correction. Even if it's hard not to. I want to be liked. I don't like being misunderstood. Just like my son. It's not easy being the teacher.

:)

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Excellent insight! We keep forgetting about life being an open book "test." Great reminder.

Leadership is hard. Even harder not to apologize when you've prayerfully made a decision. But you have proven to be one who stands by leaning (on Jesus!)

Blessings, Rachel

October 04, 2005 8:22 PM  
Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

Ditto Rachel's excellent insight comment!

Praying for you Tracey.

October 04, 2005 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home