Thursday, July 20, 2006

Power to Women

Okay, I've been thinking a lot about womanhood lately. I have my reasons, but let me just say that being a woman for me has always been a confusing contradiction. My mom wasn't treated well by my dad, but we knew she was the boss in the family--confusing. I've always had this mixed up idea of gender issues. But over the years God has been training me personally what pleases Him and what doesn't. For instance. He likes it when I'm strong, and don't let fear control me, (I used to couldn't leave my house, now I fly all over the place--Go me!) but hates it when I boss Rusty around. :) Hmmm. Seems like a no brainer, but still not always easy to carry out. Rusty's a great guy with a lot of patience. He likes to tell me he lets me do anything I want but if he puts his foot down, I do tend to submit. Not sure what I'd do if he were a control freak, though. we'd likely fight all the time. Like I said, he's a really easy-going guy. I watch my seventeen year old daughter and just marvel at her confidence and her ability to say no. When I was her age I was such a chameleon. I took on the characteristics of whoever I was with. I'm so glad she's strong. But I pray that she has the ability to surrender too. She's the firstborn and the only girl in our family, so she's sort of used to being the big cheese. I suppose it remains to be seen. Oh well, I'm in a reflective kind of mood today. My mind is sort of going from topic to topic. Just got back from a three and a half mile walk. Sweaty. When I lose another twenty pounds I'm goign to start running again. I really want to run a marathon before I'm forty. Three more years. I figure if Oprah can do it so can I. OF course, by that thinking, if Oprah can have a hit talk show... Naw. Well, maybe. Naw. who needs it? Well, kids are split between Rusty's mom and my mom for the next couple of days, so I'm off to write a million and a half words. Do you believe me? Peace Out

4 Comments:

Blogger Georgiana Daniels said...

Ooooooo, time to yourself. I'm jealous:) I'd love to run a marathon too, but I'd settle for a 10k. But, at the rate I'm going I should be glad for a 2 mile walk.

July 21, 2006 11:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I usually walk 2.1 miles and that makes for a sweaty time, here in the Phoenix valley. Takes me about 40 minutes, if I hurry I can cut it to 30 minutes. The doctor said I should be walking a mile in 12. Yikes! Who is he kidding. Run a mile in 12 maybe.

July 22, 2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Tracey Bateman said...

wow chickey! A mile in 12 minutes. And I thought I was all that and a bag of chips for jogging 3 minutes at 4.5 mph. LOL Guess I'm back down to earth. Georgianad, I will most likely start looking for 10Ks next spring. Hopefully I'll be ready by then!! I love to run. It makes me feel strong. Having been very heavy over the last 15 years, it just feels good to be able to do even what I do so far. Rusty and I met at a health club. I've always been the kind of girl that loved exercise and outside stuff. Now that I'm losing the weight, I'm getting back in touch with that part of me.
Peace!
T

July 22, 2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

I've always loved the idea of running... LOLOL But I have bad ankles, don't think I could do it. Would love to be able to run a marathon though. I don't drive so I walk a lot... walking several miles I can do.... but in this heat lately.. nu-uh... then again that would be why i can't fit into my clothes. sigh

July 22, 2006 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home