Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Wishing for a boring mom day

This morning our Siberian Husky died. I spent the day comforting four grieving kids--but especially my 17 year old girl. She's tough, but tender. We cried and talked about the sweet things Nick used to do--hugging, talking (yes he talked), smiling, protecting. If there's a heaven for dogs, this wonderful dog is there running through fields of flowers, playing with the children of heaven.

He was a beautiful bronze husky with blue, blue eyes. We got him when Cat was only 9 years old. Between the ages of 9 and 17 is a lifetime for a child. I remember even as a little girl, she would go sit with him and he’d just wait patiently while she shared all of her secrets with him. When she cried, he tried to comfort her. He listened while she learned to play guitar. He would let her hide in his doghouse when the kids played hide n seek. LOL He’d sit right in front of the door so that no one could look in and find her. SUCH a smart dog. They were quite a pair.

Bye Bye Nicholas Blue Bateman. We’ll miss you.

Thanks to everyone who piped in about motherhood. Being a mother is a joy. But the day-to-day can be boring. I can spend full days going from task to task until I'm worn out, have a sparkling house, prepare a great meal, take the kids to practices, rent a movie and watch it with them, and all the while be dying for the next day so I can write. And for some women--especially artistic types, we have to have creative outlet that has nothing to do with the kids.I think what the woman on the TODAY show was saying (and this is how I feel) is that the homemaking things women do on a daily basis aren’t her cup of tea. I love spending time with my kids. Doing the FUN stuff like going to movies or sitting in the living room talking and laughing. Watching as Jesus draws them as He’s doing my eight-year-old boy right now. If I had nothing else to do besides motherhood, I couldn’t feel complete because God has called me to do other things. He’s opened wide a door to minister through the written word. And I cherish that task. He’s given me a fine husband, whom I cherish, and children I love more than life.

I do the things I need to do as a mother and wife, and I enjoy them for the most part but I don’t revel in them the way some women do. For some women, being a mother is the calling God has placed on their life. They’re wonderful and do PTA, have their kids in all the sports, music, volunteer to be room mothers, scrap booking (My eyes start glazing over), they’re professional homemakers whether they have outside jobs or not. Anything else they do is far, far below motherhood in priority.

My children know I would give my life for them. They know that I thank God every day that I have them. They know when things happen, like dogs dying or breakups, I’ll stop what I’m doing and open my arms. I’m a good mother. With all my failures and successes, I’m exactly what my kids need. And they’re the kids I need. And that's that. :)


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, the trials and joys of motherhood. My kids would feel smothered if I was one of those PTA, in the classroom everyday type of moms. It's bad enough I work at the same school they go to! I think they secretly love it.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Pets become part of the family so quickly.

August 11, 2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger Pattie said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your pet. That is hard.

August 18, 2006 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home