Monday, October 02, 2006

And off day

Today was one of those days that just seemed all wrong. I have two more days to finish up an edit where I'm absolutely GUTTING a manuscript. It's hard and it hurts and I want to quit writing forever. I don't think I have what it takes to really be a good writer. If an editor has to change my story to make it work, am I really worth the risk? Don't misunderstand please, my editor is right and the story is better. But why didn't I do it right the first time? I don't know...it's just an off day. Woke up ready to dive in and finish this thing, and Little Zoe Bateman discovered that chewing on cords is oh-so-fun. So I am obliviously writing away while she is blissfully at my feet chewing away and all of a sudden I notice my "cord" symbol is gone and the "battery" symbol is on. The little twerp bit through my cord. And here is the problem with owning a Dell....NOTHING fits it but Dell products. So I finally tracked down a laptop I could borrow and got it home only to discover there isn't enough charge in my computer to even save the ms to jumpdrive. So I drive BACK into town and to radio shack, spend over $100 on a universal cord that powers mine, but won't charge the battery. So I'm chained to one spot. I lost almost a whole day of work by the time all was said and done. So today isn't my favorite day. I have to keep reminding myself that This is the Day the Lord has made. I will REJOICE and be glad in it. So far it's not working.....I just want to curl up and forget everything. But if I don't get the edit done, I will ahve to miss out on a conference I planned to go to Wednesday night. I need to get away, to hear from God. I'm confused about things. Relationships, career. I don't know. I feel invisible and it's hard. I know that it's in the cleft of the rock, hidden, that we get to see God pass by and show His glory, so I'm hoping that's where I am. Otherwise, it's just too depressing...

7 Comments:

Blogger Hope Wilbanks said...

Awww! Such a cute doggie couldn't do such a terrible thing! ;) Nice to "see" you Tracey. :)

October 02, 2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger Tracey Bateman said...

Oh don't get me started, Miss Hope. I'm telling you. It's like having a baby and being in the hospital while the nurses do the hard work. Then you get the baby home and it won't sleep through the night, and every time you start to eat a meal, it cries for a meal of its own. I'd forgotten what it's like to care for something 100%. rachel reminded me a few months ago that we are like God to our pets. They adore us, and depend on us to love them and care for them.
I do love her, but I guess I'll have to be more careful about cords with the cute little monster...

October 02, 2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger Christine Lynxwiler said...

Trace, I see a brilliant light heading your way. And, no, missy, it's NOT a train. God is glorified every day in you and your work. Keep on plugging. :)

October 03, 2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Pulling to shore with you way down here in Florida!

Know the feeling. But what a great feeling when it's done!

Love, hugs and a finger shake at Zoe.

Rachel

October 03, 2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger Heather Ivester said...

Sorry you had a bad day. Well, the ONLY bright spot to my day was ten minutes of reading I Love Claire -- in-between wiping feverish brows and scrubbing yet another sticky floor.

Thanks for making me laugh. Claire took Ollie for a walk today, and I so want her to buy that Vera Wang dress and go to Hawaii. Can't wait to get back to it after the kiddos are asleep. Miles to go ... *sigh*

October 05, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger Tracey Bateman said...

Heather! How did you get a copy of I Love Claire???? LOL Isn't Ollie a sweetheart?

October 05, 2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Heather Ivester said...

Love Ollie. Maybe I should consider the profession of dog walking. Who knew it could be so entertaining?

I write the Book Buzz column for Christian Women Online:
www.christianwomenonline.net

Jeane keeps me busy! :)

October 06, 2006 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home