Monday, October 30, 2006

A few thoughts about Halloween--read at your own risk

First of all. How do you like the website facelift? Isn’t it great? Misty is still working out some kinks, but by and large it’s done.

Okay, on to Halloween. I'm going to get slammed for this, but I have to sound off just a little bit. It's my blog, right?

There are a couple of Halloween issues I just don’t get. First of all…people who freak out all October and blame everything from strep throat to plumbing problems on the devil. Why can’t we plead the blood of Jesus, put on the armor and walk out the month in victory knowing that every day including Octobers 1-31 are days that the Lord has made? I don’t have any more difficulty in October than I do any other month. It’s all in your expectations. Look, if you expect devils and curses and goosebumps down the spine, the devil will be glad to oblige. GIVE NO PLACE TO THE DEVIL. Obey Jesus, pray, worship, read the word—just like every other day. What’s the big deal?

The second Halloween issue I have a problem with…if churches honestly feel the need to boycott the whole thing, why have “Hallelujah” parties at all? Okay, I know they SAY it’s to keep kids off the streets, away from trick or treating, but you know? I think that’s just dumb thinking. Faulty, flawed. If Halloween is inherently evil? Then why aren’t we teaching our kids to stay away from the whole thing? Because no matter how you mask it, we ARE celebrating on Halloween by having these parties. Personally, I think it’s fun. So I’m not saying don’t do it. I’m just saying, don’t confuse the kids by telling them not to celebrate Halloween and then throw a big party and give them a ton of candy—which, considering 40% of American kids are obese, might not be the best course of action anyway.

I’m not going to tell you my opinion about trick or treating. Let’s just say, I’m a little bummed not to have anyone little enough to put a Superman costume on this year….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home