Sunday, July 15, 2007

Stinky dogs and boys that lose ladles

Okay... so I'm home after being gone almost a full month. First to finish my deadine in Arkansas and then Atlanta for ICRS. When it's all about you for a month you forget that when you get home, it's all about them. It's a nice way of coming down to earth and remembering what true ministry is all about. If I could, I would add to the scriptures, a parenting verse how not to kill your kids when they lose ladles.

Yesterday I ran from shop to shop, trying to find a clear ladle for the punch bowl because my niece was getting married at 6pm and I was aunt of the bride and all around go-fer. Which is a role I cherish. In all honesty.

So I finally find the LAST ladle in the tri-state area, it seems. And I give my 16 year old son a mission. Hold the ladle while I go grab a shirt, because I had spilled coffee on the current one, and buy me a polish sausage at the stand at the mini mall where we were.

So he does great. Gets my polish sausage in record time, brings it to me and we are on our merry way after I change in the mall bathroom. Get to the church reception area where I unload all of the punch stuff I had bought then I look at him. "Okay, where's the ladle"
"What's a ladle?"
"That thing I told you to hold."
"UH--I'll go look in the SUV."
"Good idea."
INSERT FEELING OF IMPENDING DOOM
He comes back ultra fast.
Wouldn't it be in the VF bag?'
"No, son. That was the bag I put my coffee-stained shirt in after I changed."
"Oh." Pause.
FEELING OF IMPENDING DOOM MIXING WITH FEELING OF WANTING TO SMACK LONG_HAIRED TEEN SON
He says, "I am 99% sure I dropped it somewhere."
Who can hang onto the desire to smack the boy when he gives me THAT grin?
SIGH> Well, at least he DID get the polish sausage. And my friend came through with finding a ladle from one of her aunts. But GEE WHIZ. Everyone's a star at ICRS. NOT SO MUCH when one gets home. :) Still, I'd rather be home
My puppy missed me. She is so big now, my little Chloe. And like a rowdy four year old boy. Into everything and for now, her hair is long and she stinks. I'm getting her shaved this week and want to put a bow in her hair to see if she'll act a little more ladylike.
Am reading Deal with it, by Paula White and THE PENNY by Deborah Bedford and Joyce Meyer
I highly recommend both books.
I'm writing That's "Not Exactly" Amore, the third Drama QUeens book.

God is good. I am content. I have no complaints.
"Lord I'll follow you to the end. NO guarantees asked except that you'll be at the end of the road to meet me when I get there and I will know that I have lived my life in truth. Whatever you bring "yes to it" To anything you bring in my life."
Ann Keimel

Peace out

1 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

ROTFLOL. Ah, Tracey. You make me smile. I've got two sons, both who could easily have done the same thing. Especially the oldest. He has this cute little smirk that will soon melt hearts...along with the curly hair girls won't leave alone. And I have a feeling that the polish sausage place has a new ladle they don't know what to do with.

As for a stinky dog, we have a new puppy too. A black lab given to us. It puts a four-year-old boy to shame. I close my eyes when I go into the garage. A whirlwind has nothing on this black little ball of fur. You may hit me for this but I'm glad I'm not alone in this strange but fun time.

July 15, 2007 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home