Monday, August 27, 2007

Choices

Boy, it's been awhile since I blogged. And I was doing so great! That's the thing about commitment. I'm not so good at it. A writer's loop I'm on has been talking about that very topic and many have made public commitments to do this or that in regards to their writing. But I shudder at resolutions, be they January 1 or August whatever. I don't say that flippantly. I doggone wish I weren't so weak. I miss out on a lot of good because I'm so bad so much of the time. (Sound like a four year old, don't I?) But really, I can't seem to get past the do what feels good mentality. I would have been a FABULOUS flower child in the sixties. I hope I would have been a Jesus Freak, but might have been on the other side of the coin. I know for sure I would NOT have worn a bra. But that's beside the point.

The real topic of my life the last couple of weeks has been about choice. Doing the right thing when the flesh screams out to do the wrong thing. Every time I make the right choice, I KNOW it's best, but I still mourn what might have been. Do you? Honestly. Or am I the only person in the world who is Obedient, but not necessarily willing from time to time? I know we are to be willing AND obedient, but most of the time all I can muster is obedience. Sometimes it's the small choices, like passing on the next bite or not driving so fast (because I tend to like to get where I'm going a little faster than the state of Missouri wants me to get there). But sometimes the issues are bigger and potentially fatal to my spiritual life. Those are the hardest choices. But once made, God can start working on the heart.

Create in me a clean heart, O God. And renew a right spirit within me....

All I can say is "thank God for grace".

Peace out. Make the right choice. It's worth it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Great post. I remember a lot of Jesus Freaks. I was seven, eight, nine, they were teens, young twenties.

But I'm glad you live now, in this time and season! You were born for such a time as this! Besides, if I didn't know you, my heart would be missing a lovely jewel.

Rachel

August 28, 2007 8:06 AM  
Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Enjoyed the post Tracey. Looking forward to seeing you next month!

August 28, 2007 6:50 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

Hey Tracey, trust me, you're not the only one who fights the 'willing obedience' thing. But I think just admitting it is a big chunk of the battle. And you listed a great verse, btw. May have to add that to mine for the week. Thanks for the post.

August 29, 2007 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home