Wednesday, August 08, 2007

It's official--I'm running a race

A metaphorical race, yes. Racing toward the goal to obtain the prize in Christ. BUT I'm also running an actual physical race. In three and a half weeks, I'm running a 5K race. I sent off the forms and entry fee today.
Does this make me a runner? I really know there's no way I would win. I will come out somewhere in the middle, probably. Oh, I will NOT be last. I guarantee you that. If I have to trip someone, I won't be last. JK!

There's something very earthy and real about dripping with sweat, your hair wringing wet, your socks damp when you finish. It's about pushing your body to limits you don't think you can go. Yes, all of that sweat, all that limit-pushing in 3.2 miles at a slow jog. But hey, one man's marathon is another girl's 5K. I'm just sayin'...

I have years of obesity melting off my body with every mile I run. THe 100 lbs is gone from my body. But not from my mind. Mindsets, body image, the tendency to look away when beautiful people--male and female--walk toward me. God is using running to reshape how I think about me. He thinks I'm awesome. I know that. It's just hard to convince myself of the same thing.

About the 5K race. God put this on my heart. Used my friend, a chiropractor, Kevin Lynxwiler to inspire me.
Thanks, Kevin. You're an awesome man of God. I love how you care for your family--those beautiful amazing girls in your life, whom I love so much. I admire how you take care of the temple God has entrusted to you. Your comittment and endurance has made me determined! You allow God to heal through your hands and I find that the most inspiring of all. I know you'll be cheering me on from afar, while I run.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

Running? A race? Yikes. I fear I'd keel over after one mile. I'm sooooo out of shape. Give me a good fast paced walk any day. And sweat? I live in south Texas. I can walk out the door and work up a good sweat. (grin) But I'm thrilled for you, Tracey. I hope you end up doing better than you ever imagined. Make sure you tell us about it when it's over.

August 09, 2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

Tracey, I'm SO proud of you!!! :) I'm sorry you won't be at the conference this year, but I'm thrilled to hear of the changes you've made. Hugs, ~ Lynette

August 12, 2007 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home