Saturday, September 29, 2007

Leadership

It seems like everywhere I turn this past week I'm confronted with the issue of leadership. I'm a leader this, and I'm a leader that. See...the thing is, I don't want to be a leader. My entire teen years and young adult years were spent preparing for leadership roles. I wanted it so badly. For God to make my life count for something and take me to this place of leadership. But then I got there. :) OUCH it's HARD to be a leader. To take the hits, the stress, the accountability. Once we left the church where I was worship leader, I tried a couple of times to participate in different areas at the new church because I truly did want to serve, but I wasn't ready at all. There were too many wounded areas that needed healing. So I threw myself into writing. And I felt like it was okay with God for me to sit back and rest awhile. I mean, I did lead ACFW for a couple of years and before that was Vice President and stuff. So I served where I felt I should. But I'm talking in the church and in general. The last few years everytime there's been a leadership training class I've conveniently passed on attending. I mean, come on, we know what it takes to be a leader, don't we?
1.) A solid walk with God
2.) Faithful church attendance
3.) humility
4.) a stable home life
5.) faithful church attendance
6.) faithful church attendance
7.) Faithful church attendance
OH and last but not least
8,) Faithful church attendance

Guess which one I have trouble with. I got really really burned out on church. I mean organized, this is how it's done, gossip fest, mean people suck, you're not doing this right, church, so it became really hard for me to lock in, even at this FANTASTIC church we attend now (and have for the past 8 years or so). My attendance is sporadic at best. My personal walk with God remains strong and I listen to the podcasts of my pastor's sermons and hook in with the prayer team every day through an email loop, and we pay our tithe, but when it comes to really pressing in and putting my butt in the chair at church itself on a weekly basis, I struggle. And I know I'm not alone.

Anyway, I've been sick with the flu and down in bed almost all week and God has been dealing with me about his purpose for me and my role as a leader and all the things I'm missing because I refuse to obey in this one area of my life.
I got a tough love message from one of the pastors at church last week. It was "BE THERE. I don't want any excuses." MAN what a great message. Guess what? I was there. I'm not sure his motives were all about me, but that's not what I need to be concerned with(we're all human, right? It's okay to be frustrated when someone--ie me--is letting us down). God used him, whatever his motives, to deal with me. All week, God has sort of been saying the same thing in my spirit. No more excuses. BE THERE. Be the leader you are called to be.

I have a ways to go and I still don't really think I'm leadership material, and my emotions are screaming against walking back into the fray, but God is God and I love Him more than anything. Obedience is better than sacrifice, although right now I feel like it's all about the sacrifice. :)

What about you? You ready to dip a toe in and let God use you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

Haha. Only I'm not laughing. I have been going through something similar. It's *easier* in a way to sit home and write, just me and God, so to speak. It's harder to deal with people, isn't it? God has been dealing with me on the idea that we don't get to choose the ones He wants us to minister to. That we can't find a church where everyone gets along all the time, and everyone's at the same spiritual level. (I mean, honestly, the stuff some people get upset and/or catty over, makes me want to say--"JUST GROW UP, will you? We all have the same desire, or we should.") LOL. And of course the Lord sort of says, "Um, that's what I'm working on...growing them up." I read an awesome book called, "Couldn't we just kill them and tell God they died?" It gives a unique perspective from a pastor's wife/speaker, dealing with people. Hmmm... anyway, I hardly ever post so I guess I'm making up for it. LOL.

September 29, 2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

This past summer God tapped my heart about an issue. I'd been saying "yes" to Him for years, but in reality, wasn't moving forward into this thing He's called me to.

So, in the middle of a spinning class, while I mused on my weakness and blah, blah and God would give grace, He said, "You're quickly becoming like the servant who said yes and never went."

Gulp. Ew! I didn't like that picture of myself. I've done better, but am still not radical as I need and want to be. Mostly in the area of prayer and fasting.

I believe church body life is so important. I heard John Paul Jackson once say God can only take us so far when we are not locked into the Body of Christ. He just chooses not to do it because He loves so much when we fellowship together.

Put things in a new perspectiv for me.

Great post!

Love, Rachel

September 29, 2007 9:00 PM  
Blogger Tracey Bateman said...

Lynette!!
I LOVE Cathy Lechner. I have at least five of her books and the one you mentioned is my favorite. As a matter of fact I have TWO copies of it. One that I can loan out so I don't lose the other one.
Thanks for responding you two.
Love you both!!

September 29, 2007 11:42 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

It's the case of 'don't give me one more thing. I don't want to do any more.' Yep, I've been going through it too. Yet God is quick to show who's the boss and in control. Talk about being stretched. But He is good and won't give more than we can handle. Easy to say, hard to handle sometimes. Hang in there Tracey. God blesses obedience and I think He's about to bless your socks off. (And now I'm going to run get that book. It sounds great.)

October 01, 2007 6:27 AM  
Blogger Pattie said...

Good post, Tracey.

October 19, 2007 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home