Saturday, September 08, 2007

reviews....come laugh with me....

I got three very different Reviews today from three different sources....
Check these out. I'm not sure what two spoons means in the last one. But the site had cereal all over it, so I'm assuming this might be a young mom that feeds her kids a lot of cereal and reviews on the side? I'm not sure and didn't have time to stick around and find out. My friend Rachel mentioned one day that she thinks all reviewers are just nice. UH. NOPE... some are honest with a kind spirit and some are honest (and we want them to be) but not kind spirited at all. Very snarky. I usually get great reviews. But not always. Every once in awhile my style and characters just don't mesh. But without naming sites of these reviews, I wanted to show you how subjective it is from reader to reader. Not everyone is going to like me. That doesn't lessen the fact that I have a calling to write the books God has given me to write to the best of my ability. Believe me, no one is harder on me and my books than I am. (smile)
ENJOY THESE----I did.

OKAY Here they are
Review #1

Defiant Heart is the first in the Avon Inspire line – and if Defiant Heart is any indication, it will be a great line up! Ms. Bateman is a talented author, and in this first book in the Westward Hearts series, she grabbed my interest on page one and held it through out.

Fannie is a realistic heroine, kind and caring, in spite of her circumstances. She’s also quick to defend those less fortunate than herself, and willing to go to any length to care for those she loves. Blake is a true heroine, strong, wise, and caring, even if he is a stickler for the rules. I found myself cheering for Fannie and hoped she’d keep her siblings alive on the difficult and dangerous trip.


**************************************************************************
Review #2
I enjoyed the way Tracey Bateman used several different perspectives to tell this story. Sometimes you heard from Fannie, sometimes from Blake (the wagon master) and sometimes from Sam, the wagon master’s ‘half-breed’ guide and partner. It gave the book a well-rounded and broad base to build the story on.

I also enjoyed the imagery of “Defiant Heart.” The author described things in such a way that you felt like you were traveling with the wagoners, facing the challenges right along with them. When the wagon train was struck by a tornado, I could feel the power of the wind around me.

I must admit that as much as I enjoyed “Defiant Heart” there were a few things that could have been improved. That biggest issue for me was that a few of the characters in this novel were a little bit stereotypical; most particularly the villains. They villains seemed to lack the depth that the heroes had, and that pulled the overall quality down just a notch.

Conclusion

While “Defiant Heart” does have a few imperfections, it’s a very enjoyable story. I feel bad that I waited so long to read it, since it took me only a few short hours to read once I finally picked it up this morning. I guess an engaging tale will do that to you.

I think that most fans of Christian fiction will enjoy “Defiant Heart,” particularly those who share my affinity for historical novels. ****************************************************
REVIEW #3
This novel kicks off the start of a new series entitled Westward Hearts. And in truth it does feel like a beginning. Set during the time of westward expansion, the novel focuses on orphans Fannie Caldwell and her two young siblings who were sold into servanthood by their stepfather. When a wagon train pulls into town, Fannie puts her plan to escape from her cruel master into action. Fannie is strong willed, determined and, oh yes, cliche though it may be, she is beautiful.(SIDENOTE FROM TRACEY: She actually ISN'T BEAUTIFUL. BUT FROM THE HERO'S POV SHE IS) She meets her match in the handsome and equally headstrong wagon master Blake Tanner. Life on the trail is a series of trials that is exacerbated when the Caldwell clan joins in on the journey. Through the perils they face, Fannie and Blake slowly recognize their love for one another. And that folks is where it ends. It really is just the beginning of a story. I have to wonder if a fuller novel was written and then split into two parts to begin the development of this series. I enjoyed the story as I have all the other historical inspiration fiction I have read but if you are looking for a grat book set in the wild west, I would recommend Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers or Petticoat Ranch by Mary Connealy.

I'm giving Defiant Heart 2 spoonfuls of cereal because it did keep me turning the pages but it just felt so underdeveloped and there are some other great choices in the same genre that I would recommend instead of this title.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!
LOL
Tracey

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Okay, maybe not all reviewers are nice. But, I don't think it will keep readers away.

YOU are a fab writer and story teller.

Love, Rachel

September 09, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

I agree with Rachel. I happen to think you and your stories are keepers.

September 09, 2007 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home