Sunday, April 06, 2008

Love and Holiness

Rusty was on drill (National Guard) this weekend so I decided to visit a different church. I was planning to go to our church's first service and THEN go to the other one, but I sort of stayed up working until 3:30am (I get obsessed with new projects and this one is particularly challenging, so even though I KNEW I should go to bed, I didn't.)

So anyway, it is a great church. The pastor and his wife are Jamaican and just lovely, lovely folks. The first thing I noticed was the psalmist anointing of the praise and worship. You know how some worship is exciting and fun and makes you want to jump. This wasn't that. :) It was very Davidish. I wish the worship guy had been up there alone with his guitar, I think the anointing might have been even stronger but still, it was so very good and I felt all squishy in love with Jesus by the time the song service was over. Then the pastor preached on Holiness, which is always a great message to hear over and over since we fall so short of it. Me anyway. He said something that really struck a chord in me.

Don't focus on God's holiness so much that you mistreat His Love
and don't focus on God's Love so much that you mistreat his holiness.

It struck me again how quickly I can become legalistic and judgmental if I am not allowing the love of God to change me and make me holy. Only God can make those changes in us. It has nothing to do with striving.

Obedience to his voice, yes, striving in my own power: nope. :)
Good God day. He definitely had me in the right place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home