Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Relationships with other Christians

Okay, God is still teaching me about being in relationship with others, so I'm still talking about it.
It starts with relationship with Him. I can't be a good wife, mom, friend, daughter, if I am not first having my roots planted and nourished by relationship with God. (Col. 2:7).

But at some point, this whole walk has to be about more than just ME. My walk, my relationships, my blessings, my issues. Rusty and I had a great talk today about how I have grown close to a few of the women in church and how I found something I didn't know was missing. I didn't know I wanted friends until I started having them. Even so, it's not enough that it just be me. Our marriage will be stronger if we move into friendships together.

I've always kept our walks separate because I never wanted to be one of those wives whose husbands tag along under protest. It's demeaning to both partners and I've always felt if I manipulate him to do what I want when he'd rather not, it shows that I care more about me than him. Actually it was more amatter of principle, which is pride, but I let myself think I was being noble (there's my daily confession). Still, as a matter of course, Rusty does what he wants, and he answers to God, not me (as long as he doesn't do something against our marriage--you know what I mean). I don't tell him to go to church, or shame him if he stays home. He decides his own walk with God. But today we discussed how our indvidual walks do affect our marriage. We talked about needing to expand our circle to include common friendships. Luckily, my friends have amazing men that we'd enjoy hanging with. So our next project, and Rusty agrees is to involve ourselves in the group get-togethers and start making "couple" friends. :)

I'm looking forward to taking this next step and seeing the changes God is going to make in me. I feel the selfishness melting away as I step outside my comfort zone, my own issues, and share myself with others. I'm still fighting the tendency to wall myself as a defense against rejection. But Jesus is a good cushion if I get knocked on my butt. So I continually force myself to peek over the wall. Put one leg over, lift my body, swing the other leg, and hop onto the ground with the rest of God's people who are just as desperate to be loved and accepted.

Thank You God for these lessons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home